Thursday, December 5, 2013

A room of wonder | Tokyo. Artist : Takumi Kitada









北田匠ヴィジュアルアーティスト、彫刻家
Takumi Kitada (Visual artist, Sculptor)
納得したんか
   Are you satisfied?

[Description]
My father, when he was alive, taught me how to grind knives before he was going to undergo a big surgery. I was so impressed to see his movement to show me the instruction that I almost forgot to breath but kept staring at him. Followed by him I tired and showed him my knife, but he said “Not enough.” I tried again and showed him, his answer was “Not yet.” I tried once more, he said “No.” I kept grinding, and I noticed he wouldn’t say yes if I showed it in a hurry, so that I grinded the knife until I got to the point where I reached my best, even though I wasn’t quite sure where it was. Then I showed it to my father, he asked me, before looking at the knife, “Are you satisfied?” I said I was, then he said “Yes.” and moved on to next step.
Takumi Kitada

[Artist Statement]
My art works are based on my interest in the cognition of existence. Humans can perceive the surrounding phenomena through the sensory organs, but I think there is a gap between the physical reality and our consciousness. I believe that visualizing and emphasizing the subtle relationship between humans and their environment can open a new perceptive experience. I aim to mediate this process through the making of my works.

[Biography]
Born in Osaka in 1989, as first son of a sculptor Yoshimasa Kitada. He decided to be a sculptor when he was 11 years old. After graduating from Tokyo University of the Arts, Department of Sculpture, he enrolled in the Master's Graduate School of Tokyo University of the Arts, Department of Sculpture.

© Tokyo Wonder Site | photos : Masahiro Nagata
Tokyo Experimental Festival, November 15, 16, 17th, 2013. TWS Shibuya.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Rio de Janeiro. I am a performing artist and art maker coming from dance. I love to dialogue with the historical, material and affective context we are immersed in any given situation. As art form, my work goes from multimedia stage conceptual work to convivial and open-air pieces. It strikes me the awareness and fictions arising from the sublime of daily situations, its materiality, the reference points that we cling to and build up our relation to reality and how meaning grows from this. contacts: gustavociriaco@gmail.com | marine@elclimamola.com

Blog Archive