Thursday, December 5, 2013

A room of wonder | Tokyo. Artist: Kae Ishimoto





石本華江ダンサー

Kae Ishimoto (Dancer)

I am here to be with you

[Description]
A piece set in a slightly dark room with just one chair and one bed. When you enter, there’s someone on the bed. You sit down and hold hands with him/her. After a short time, she goes away. It's your turn to lie down on the bed. Another visitor comes in and sits on the chair. A certain amount of time for each visitor. A simple experience between caring and being cared, about being in presence for someone. A situation designed to feel presence.
(Written by Gustavo Ciríaco and Kae Ishimoto)

[Artist Statement]
What I want to create is “confusion”. My performance is based on contemporary and Butoh dance techniques, but I’m interested in non-genre performance. I prefer art where many elements are unified and blend together. Normally people think having a specialty is a good thing but I view it as a limitation. I always try to get performers to try many approaches and techniques. For me, dance is a way of communication, so I always create dance using relationships with others as a base.

[Biography]
Since 2002 Kae Ishimoto has been working with Yukio Waguri. In 2011, she performed “Transformation Girl” in 7 countries choreographed using the Hijikata method of butoh. She is attempting to construct an original, genre-less expression that synthesizes various elements and traditions of dance.
In 2004 she co-created a performance company with 8 musicians called Wangnin Bunmei ("Fool’s Civilization"). She and her company have been invited to 13 countries in Asia, Europe and US.

© Tokyo Wonder Site | photos : Masahiro Nagata
Tokyo Experimental Festival, November 15, 16, 17th, 2013. TWS Shibuya.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Rio de Janeiro. I am a performing artist and art maker coming from dance. I love to dialogue with the historical, material and affective context we are immersed in any given situation. As art form, my work goes from multimedia stage conceptual work to convivial and open-air pieces. It strikes me the awareness and fictions arising from the sublime of daily situations, its materiality, the reference points that we cling to and build up our relation to reality and how meaning grows from this. contacts: gustavociriaco@gmail.com | marine@elclimamola.com

Blog Archive